Armed pirates attacked a Turkish cargo ship off the coast of West Africa and kidnapped 15 sailors and killed one of them, officials said on Sunday, as Turkey seeks to recover the captive crew.

The Liberian flag-flying M / V Mozart was sailing from Lagos, Nigeria to Cape Town, South Africa, when it was attacked on Saturday morning 100 nautical miles (185 kilometers) northwest of the island of Sao Tome and Principe.

The Turkish Naval Directorate said that the crew initially confined themselves in a safe area, but the pirates were forced to enter after six hours. During the conflict, one of the crew members on board died. The victim was identified as Azerbaijani engineer Farman Ismailov, the only non-Turkish crew member.

The official Anatolia News Agency said that the pirates left the ship in the Gulf of Guinea with three sailors on board after kidnapping most of its crew. According to reports, the pirates have disabled most of the ship’s systems, leaving only the navigation system for the remaining crew to find their way to the port. The ship is currently heading to the port of Gentil Gabon.

The Gulf of Guinea, off the coast of Nigeria, Guinea, Togo, Benin and Cameroon, is the most dangerous sea in the world for piracy, according to the International Maritime Bureau.

Dryad Global, the maritime security adviser, described the attack as “an exceptional accident in terms of its severity and its distance from the shore.” The London-based company added that the number of appearances in waters off West Africa last year rose to 18 from 13 in 2019.

READ  로이드 오스틴 국방장관은 입원 중 중환자실에 입원해 있었다.

Mevlüt Çavuşolu, Turkey’s foreign minister, said that he had spoken to Mozart’s remaining senior officer, Furkan Yarin, and that the morale and physical condition of the sailors aboard were good.

“We are continuing coordinated negotiations for the release of” the kidnapped sailors, he said. “The hackers haven’t given any response yet.”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s office said in a tweet that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke twice to Yarin. She added that Erdogan had issued orders to remove the kidnapped crew.

“The owners and operators of M / V Mozart, which was kidnapped at gunpoint in the Gulf of Guinea, unfortunately confirmed the killing of one of its crew members and the kidnapping of others,” Istanbul-based Boden Maritime said.

Cavusoglu spoke to his Azerbaijani counterpart to offer condolences and said that the body would be taken when Mozart arrived at the port.

In July 2019, 10 Turkish sailors were kidnapped off the coast of Nigeria. They were released less than a month later.

답글 남기기

이메일 주소는 공개되지 않습니다. 필수 필드는 *로 표시됩니다

You May Also Like

바이러스 사례가 가속화됨에 따라 서울시는 체육관 사용자에게 속도를 늦추라고 지시합니다.

피트니스 사진을 준비하고 있는 교사이자 전 럭비 선수인 강승현은 자신의 체육관이 느린…

푸틴 대통령은 우크라이나가 러시아 점령 지역을 떠나고 나토의 제안을 포기하면 휴전을 약속했는데, 이는 키예프로서는 받아들일 수 없는 일이다.

블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령은 금요일 키예프가 2022년 모스크바가 합병한 4개 지역에서 병력을…

후지쯔, 우체국 피해자들에게 보상할 '도덕적 의무' 인정

런던의 Michael Rees와 다보스의 Hope Rhodes가 작성함 BBC 뉴스 2024년 1월 16일,…

미국 판사들은 대법원 판사가 윤리 규칙을 준수해야한다고 말합니다

미국 판사들은 대법원 판사가 윤리 규칙을 준수해야한다고 말합니다 스포츠 뉴스 엔터테인먼트 생활…